Here are some little tips that might be useful for creating personal meditation practices:
- Choose your favorite clothing for meditation as you would do for a celebration or special ceremony. It might be any color you want. As you progress with meditation practices, you might want to change clothing colors, as a reflection of another step on your spiritual path.
- Direction of sitting: if you have an option in what direction to sit in during meditation, choose east or north direction, as they have a better energy flow.
- When you just start doing meditations, you probably won’t have good sense of timing. To avoid looking at the clock every minute (thinking that at least 10 minutes have already passed), it would be good to set a gentle reminder on your mobile phone as to the time when you want to finish the meditation.
- There is an option to use hand gestures, called mudras, which can be easily find on Internet. However, if you are new to the meditation practices, I would not recommend to try it because it might create tension in the hands or pose as yet another distraction for your mind, constantly checking your hands positions. Try them later when you get more comfortable with the basics.
- Some people like to start meditation practices from 5 minute and do incremental increases as they progress. From my experience, meditating for 5 and 10 minutes did not let me go into silence at all. Only when I started practicing meditation for 30 min or more, I could reach the point of stillness, as well as being rewarded with blissful, peaceful, tranquil state of mind and being.